I had some photos for this post, but my card reader’s borked, so I can’t get them onto this computer.
Anyways. I did up two test tiles for the cephalopots, and they’re out of the kiln. I’m using a modified version of a glaze that’s been around the studio for a while… I made my mom a set of dessert bowls two Christmases ago, and that’s what they were glazed with. The bowls have been in near-daily use, and have even been put in the (gasp!) dishwasher for the past six or seven months. The glaze is still perfect, so on top of being nice to work with (easy to get an even coat, doesn’t clump on the bottom of the bucket), it’s sturdy as heck.
The first test tile is the base glaze without any colourants added, and the other has 0,5% red iron oxide. The first came out a very white colour… sort of like the foam on top of a cup of steamed milk. The second is a very pale, creamy beige. The surface texture is matte, and almost feels under-fired, even though I know the kiln hit the right temperature–it’s just the way that base comes out.
I did up a third test tile today. This time, I fiddled a little more with the recipe–brought up the fluxes and brought down the refractories, which means it should melt a little easier, and maybe make a smoother surface. (I don’t know if I *want* it to be smoother. I feel like tentacled pottery should have more texture to it. But I figured I should see if I can make it happen, just for fun, and then decide which texture I like best when i can touch the result, not just imagine it.) I also brought up the iron oxide by another percent, so it’ll come out a wee bit darker.
Should be fired Monday.