Glaze tests, Round 1

It occured to me I never got around to posting any pics from the glaze chemistry course over the last few weeks. So here’s my first homework assignment: three glazes mixed up based on limit formulas.

DSCF0879

They’re a good illustration of how unpredictable glazes can be, and why potters spend so much time testing them. I was aiming for three light green glazes: one opaque and matte (I got clear satin), and two glossy, semi-clear with fun surface effects (I got one plain glossy clear, and one glossy semi-clear with fun stuff below the surface). And none of them are light green.

They all have the same colourant, 1% copper carbonate. The only difference between two and three is that two contains barium carbonate, and three contains zinc oxide.

As you can see, colour isn’t just determined by your colourants; it’s also heavily influenced by your base. And while some ingredients tend to have certain properties (barium carbonate is supposed to funkify things), those properties only emerge if said ingredient plays well with everything else in the base.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s