Mixed up a few test tiles yesterday. I’m hunting for two glaze bases I can use over cream or white clays, one variegated, and one which will take well to being turned pink. And hopefully also be clear, or clearish.
I know from this article over on Digital Fire and this batch of test tiles that it’s possible to do it with Mason Stains. I’ve got two tests mixed up of my own, using the fourth recipe variation without cornwall stone (one with talc, and one without), to see if I might have any luck getting a nice colour with tin and chrome instead f the commercial stains.
I also mixed up a glaze called “Powder Box Pink”, which elusive internet rumour has it came from a book that was featured in Ceramics Monthly in some issue or other, where the author talked about getting pinks without having to use chrome. I have one tile for the recipe as written, and one with rutile, just for shits and giggles.
Oh, and I also mixed up a glaze I found one day in the studio notebook. It’s called “Surf”, and predates my involvement with the place, but when i asked one of the oldtimers about it she got all misty-eyed and nostalgic, so I want to see what it looks like. I switched the colourants around so it should come out looking sort of turquoisey instead of dark blue, but otherwise left the recipe as it was.
 The plan is to mix up a bunch of buckets–one pink, one apple green, one purple, and one bright blue–and use them on the Just For Fun mugs I made back in January.