There is, right now, in my hallway, a pile of clay and a slab roller. (I decided to get the roller now, rather than waiting until after the kiln is acquired. My shed and kiln budget is set and in the bank, but I had enough in Christmas payments to cover a top-up winter clay order plus this lovely beast, so I went for it. It’s not like I won’t use it.)
The other big clay expense to decide on right now is whether or not I’m going to NCECA. I don’t want to miss it. As big and intense and borderline overwhelming as it is, it’s also hugely inspiring, very educational, and basically my only holiday aside from Christmas and the odd snow day. AND, because of the timing, it’ll be a chance to scope out a variety of studio setups a mere month or two before I build my shed. That is of no small value to me.
Assuming I get funding for the trip, I have two wholesale orders that add up to just under half the cost. If I travel with a buddy again, that’ll cut my hotel expenses almost in half. That leaves between 500$ and 1000$ to scrounge up.
Now that I type it out, it doesn’t seem like that big an obstacle…
 Texas! In MARCH! It’ll be warm!